For the past 2 days we here in Calgary have had a major blizzard. Lots of snow coming down and a nice strong wind to blow it around. It was crazy! Highways were closed, accidents everywhere; they were strongly advising you to stay at home if you did not have to venture out.
I know a lot of people hate snowstorms and when one arrives, do not enjoy it with many complaining. But hey it’s weather and weather is one of the few things in our lives that we actually cannot change. Though a snowstorm is not always fun.
I actually love a good snowstorm for many reasons. I know many of you are likely going to argue with me on this one, but I think they are many good things that can come from it.
So here are 10 reasons Why I LOVE a Snowstorm
- It is a great excuse to take the day off! Whether you cannot get to work, school, etc. or choose not to go; you can take a break from the regular days activities.
- You can stay inside and cuddle up on the couch with your family. Watch movies and get cozy under a blanket.
- Or you could go outside and play in it! There is nothing like enjoying and playing in fresh new snow.
- It adds to the toboggan hills (and ski hills). So as soon as it stops you can go enjoy the fresh powder.
- It’s a good day to catch up on things at home. That unfinished project, that corner you wanted to clean out.
- You appreciate your mobility. Being ‘stuck’ for a day or two makes you appreciate the days of good weather and ones that you can come and go freely. You know without shovelling or warming up the car.
- During a storm we often enjoy warm cozy meals. A nice homemade stew or soup. Good hearty meals that warm the body and fill the tummy.
- It strengthens a sense of community. People seem to help each other more. Whether it be shovelling the neighbors walk or helping to move a stuck car, people easily and quickly stop to help.
- If you do venture out, it is very quiet when you get there. There are less people at the stores, gym and other public facilities.
- It’s beautiful when its over. There is a serenity about the world when the storm has passed, the sun comes out, and the peacefulness that exists.